The Animal Husbandry Directorate is housed in Vikas Bhavan, Thiruvananthapuram.
The overall technical, administrative and financial control is vested with the Director, supported by two Additional Directors, two Joint Directors, six Deputy Directors and five Assistant Directors, attached to the Directorate.
The major technical wings at the Directorate are Veterinary Services and Animal Health, Planning, Livestock Production, Poultry and Animal Husbandry Statistics.
Administrative wing of the Department comprises of an Administrative Officer, Finance Officer, two Administrative Assistants and one Accounts Officer.
A Statistical wing is functioning in the Directorate under the guidance of Joint Director (Statistics). The cell consists of two wings – the Official statistics wing and the Sample Survey wing. One Research Officer is allotted to Official Statistics wing and two Research Officers to the Sample Survey wing.
The following is the staff pattern of the Directorate
Additional Directors (2)
1. Animal Health & Veterinary Service.
Joint Directors (2)
1. Livestock Production.
Deputy Directors (6)
3. Key Village.
5. Swine Husbandry.
Assistant Directors (5)
2. Cattle Development.
3. Rabies Eradication.
4. Central Store Organisation.
Administrative Assistants (2)
Research Officers (3)
1. Sample Survey (2).
2. Official Statistic Wing (1)
About 2,638 institutions are functioning in the Animal Husbandry Department. The following institutions are under the director control of Head Quarters.
- State Institute for Animal Diseases , Palode
- Epidemiological Cell, Thiruvananthapuram
- Institute of Animal Health and Veterinary Biologicals, Palode
- Animal Disease Control Project Office, Thiruvananthapuram.
- Special Livestock Breeding Programme- Head Quarters, Thiruvananthapuram
- Central Hatchery, Chengannur
- Avian Disease Diagnostics Lab, Thiruvalla
- Cattle Sterility Office, Aluva
- Swine Husbandry Office, Aluva
- Rinderpest Eradication Scheme, Head Quarters, Palakkad
- Livestock Management Training Centres at Mundayad, Malampuzha, Aluva, and Kudappanakkunnu.
- Regional Disease Diagnostic Laboratory,Kannur
District Level Administration
The responsibility of district level Animal Husbandry activities is vested with the District Animal Husbandry Officer in the cadre of Joint Director. The District Animal Husbandry Officer has technical as well as administrative control over all the veterinary institutions in the districts except those, which are directly administered from the head quarters. In technical matters a Deputy Director and a Veterinary Surgeon assist District Animal Husbandry Officer.